Wednesday, January 7

Wednesday News

Allison has a new friend. She moved into a house across the street, and she's in Allison's kindergarten class at school. Her family just relocated back to the states after four years in New Zealand. This little girl, being barely six years old, has the most adorable accent you've ever heard! We arranged a playdate today because the kiddos had a snow day, and all of this newly relocated family's belongings are en route to the U.S. and therefore they are living with rented furniture and NO TOYS for the children. Just a few things. This made a playdate very important! Allison was quite distracted over the fact that her new friend has no toys. I assured her that the toys were on their way. So Allison and her new friend spent no less than FOUR hours in Allison's room playing Little Pet Shops and Barbies. I had to go check on them to see if all was well because they NEVER CAME OUT of the room! They did break for a QUICK snack and then right back to playing. By the way, I spent a little while visiting with the little girl's mom and she seems like a really nice person. I look forward to getting to know them all!

I worked with Buddy yesterday afternoon. He was a bit out of sorts but once we settled into our time together we had a nice day. I think working with some of our school's special needs children has made me more patient as a parent. I'm so thankful that my girls are all healthy and without the challenges of a disability - I definitely appreciate that more than ever. Another thing I realized is that I want very much to see these kids smile or hear them laugh or anything that shows they 'get it'. It's kind of like trying to make an infant smile. We work so hard to get that little face to light up into a grin and when we do it's just -- awesome. I think that's why I like working with Buddy. He giggles, he smiles, he gives high fives, and he talks to me - which is a pretty big deal, trust me. It's rewarding in a way I didn't expect. And of course, getting to see my girls during the school day is one huge bonus!

Shop Talk: I haven't contributed to my shop talk section in a LONG time. Honestly, writing got shoved onto the back burner - the WAY back burner. Lots of projects are needing some revision and then I'll send them on their way into Slush Pile Land. But more importantly, I've got a story idea rolling around in my head that is starting to come together in a tangible way. I can actually see the pieces of the story fitting together. It'll be geared at young teens and I think I'll tell it from my protagonist's point of view. I have to submit something to my critique group in early February so I'll need to get writing SOON. Now that the holidays are over I WILL pay more attention to this venture of mine.

Did you watch the Biggest Loser last night!? Good Grief!! What a season it will be. There are some BIG people on this time. It will be quite inspiring to see them transform their bodies and their lives, I'm sure. Tune in Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. and check it out!!

I think it's time to get things settled down for the evening. Showers, stories, and bedtime are right around the corner.