Friday, May 2

TV Talk (and a little Soccer too)

I watched "Don't Forget The Lyrics" on Fox last night. It was a celebrity version of the show and Bret Michaels was the celebrity. You know Bret Michaels - think 80's hair band Poison. I found him disturbing. There was something about seeing a man, presumably in his 40's, wearing more eye makeup than most women I know, dyed hair, saggy jowls (is that the right word for a droopy jaw line?), some sort of bandanna wrapped around the front portion of his head, and scraggly clothes. He actually looks a little like Goldie Hawn. I wanted to holler "GROW UP!" at the TV - I think I might've actually done that. He's...yucky - for lack of a better word.

If you're a Survivor fan, you had to LOVE last night's show. Amanda pulled a fast one that rocked the tribe! I'm thinking this is probably the most entertaining season so far! James' leaving was sad. I liked James.

Our first soccer practice went well. This is the first time I'm coaching without another adult. I admit I fee rather intimidated by the parents, especially the dads. I'm sure that as they're standing there, arms folded, feet apart, listening to my little speech about soccer stuff, they are thinking, "Great, a female coach. What does she know. This ought to be a great season." Let's face it, female coaches - in any sport, at any level - have way more to prove than men. Not fair, but true. I tried to convey my soccer coaching philosophy in a straight forward, confident way, leaving little room for parent comments. I emphasized my intention to make this FUN above all else. I told them how the games were just for fun. I could tell that hit a nerve with one dad in particular. I'm nervous about our game tomorrow. My young team is in no way truly prepared for it. Fortunately, I have at least 5 kids who've played before and a couple more who I know will catch on quickly. I do have a 3 year old on my team who I'm sure will get plowed down early on and leave the field crying. She's timid, small, and really too young to be playing. Hopefully she'll get tough quick and be a star! I've seen that happen many times! I must go now and plan my team lineup for tomorrow's game - Wish Us Luck!!