Monday, March 31

More Bad Mom Points

Now that our lives have settled down after the whole spider incident, I can update you on some shop talk.

Shop Talk: I submitted another story to my critique group this weekend. It's geared for younger readers and I was having a hard time getting the word count down. Many magazines have a word limit of 500 words for their younger audiences. My story is at 635 words. That's a lot of words to cut out! Finding a market for anything longer than 500 words is tough! I've done a bunch of market research and come up with only one or two options and they aren't good options. But, the wonderful ladies in my CG have made fantastic suggestions for cutting words without losing the story! I'm excited to revise it and recheck the market guide for the perfect place to send it! It'll have to wait though. I need to get to work on Assignment 8! It's all in my head - I just need to get it on paper! It also requires some market research, which can be daunting. Still waiting to hear about the two manuscripts out in Slush Pile land...

Today is library, lunch, and recess duty for me. It was raining this morning so I sent Becky to school without snow clothes or boots thinking they'd have indoor recess. I told her I wouldn't be there for recess because there's really no point when it's inside. Turns out the rain turned to snow and the kids went outside after all. I got there right before lunch and was met in the hallway by Rebecca's friend who told me Becky had fallen down outside. I went to her classroom to find her soaking wet and crying. Not good. Her teacher was glad to see me and we decided I'd bring Becky home to change. She ate lunch at home and then I brought her back to school. I'm telling you, I'm not going win any mom of the year awards with my record lately LOL!!! I probably shouldn't mention how I shot the poor kid in the eye with a Nerf foamy thing this weekend... I'm telling you...