Wednesday, November 21

A Little Snow

This is what the backyard looked liked yesterday morning. When I took this picture the snow had all but stopped. A little while later it picked up again and we ended up with a little over an inch of snow. Our neighbors actually made an entire snow family in their front yard with the little bit we got. It was very pretty but I'm glad it's melted today!

The forecast is calling for a nice, clear couple of days. I'm thankful for that since we'll be travelling this weekend. I think it will be cold but that can be dealt with pretty easily.
For the first time in seven and a half years I am not wearing my glasses. I decided to give contacts a try. My prescription is a bit tricky and I always just stayed away from contacts thinking they wouldn't be a good idea. I got the contacts yesterday and I'll try them out for a couple of weeks to see if they'll work out. Yesterday was difficult. I couldn't see well, my eye felt irritated, reading was a nightmare. This morning started out that way but things have improved dramatically over the last couple of hours. I can read just fine and I am barely aware that anything is in my eyes. Maybe this will work out... I'm looking forward to buying myself a pair of inexpensive sunglasses!
Becky starts basketball this weekend. She is on a really nice team, good girls, nice coach... I think she'll have a good time this season. She's in the 3rd/4th grade league this year so it'll be a little bit different for her but I think she'll do fine.
My mom and I have decided to head to Freeport on Black Friday! That could possibly be the worst idea on the planet, especially since my mom is dealing with a badly sprained ankle, but I think it'll be worth it. I LOVE shopping in Freeport and I haven't gotten to in quite awhile. Mom thinks she'll be okay for a couple of hours so we'll be good.
Do you know the state of your school's budget, resources, class sizes, etc.? I'm finding out a good deal more than I can wrap my head around about ours. It's actually quite discouraging and a HUGE eye opener. Apparently, we have elementary schools in our district that have VERY small class sizes (let's say 9 or 10 in a class). The idea has been suggested to combine classes (let's say 2nd and 3rd). This idea has been repeatedly shot down by folks on the school committee who don't believe it makes sense from an educational stand point. ON THE OTHER HAND; our district High School has had to let several teacher go over the past couple of years which has impacted class sizes drastically over there. For example, there is only one Geometry class offered and 29 students are in that class. Four or five others were told they couldn't take the class due to the already large class size. I was flabbergasted by that. Imagine your PUBLIC school not allowing your child to take a math class because they couldn't possibly accommodate any more students! That's INSANE! There just isn't enough teachers to go around over there because of these cuts. Somebody tell me again why it's okay to keep an elementary school teacher on for ten kids but not okay to have enough teachers on at the high school. I guess if these elementary schools were reorganized it would free up LOTS of money. Money that could be used to pay for additional teachers at the high school level as well as a middle school Resource Officer. Hmmm...the budget is always explained in a way to make the average person think we have to CHOOSE between teachers and resource officers. It seems to be there are very doable ways to have BOTH. But, what do I do with this information? Do others know about these things? I don't know what to do about this. Is a letter to the Editor worth a try? I just don't know. After the holiday I will call the lady on the school committee who seems to want to change things and ask her what I can do. Maybe she'll have some ideas. It really is disturbing to know that things are so WACKY and nothing is being done about it!
I've got to get some things done before the girlies get home. It's another half day of school. We have a busy afternoon planned so I have to get things accomplished this morning!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! And remember: Gobble til you Wobble!