Wednesday, August 29

*LUCY*

It's been one whole year since we adopted Lucy. WOW! I know I've talked about her many times over the last year but I thought she should get a post all her own!
I've always thought that dogs who are rescued from a life in a shelter or from a life of hardship are appreciative. They know first hand what it is to be lonely and scared, or hungry and cold. Maybe they know sadness from losing the family they love. Today is the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina - the catastrophic storm that changed many lives, including Lucy's. I don't know all the details but from what I've pieced together Lucy's family was unable to take her with them when the left their home. I'm not sure where she was left. Maybe she was left in the house with enough food and water to last a couple of days until her family thought they'd be back. I know many animals were left this way. Unfortunately her family didn't come back to get her. A different family took her in and kept her for almost a year. When she got pregnant they brought her to a shelter. Abandoned again. The shelter brought her to many adoption events to try and find her (and others) a home. No one wanted her. Then Labs 4 Rescue got involved and we found Lucy on their website. I loved her sweet face right away. We brought her home August 28 - almost exactly one year after Katrina. She thanks us a hundred times a day for being her family. Every thump of her tail on the hardwood floor. Every nuzzle of her wet nose under my elbow. Everytime she follows me all over the house. Everytime she gets up to go find one of the girls just to say hi. We are all so thankful for her! She was the answer to a little girl's prayers and she's added so much to our lives. Let me say that I don't think we should judge folks for leaving their pets behind when they had to evacuate their homes and head for safety. None of them could've known the destruction Katrina would leave behind. We don't know what choices we would've made under the same circumstances. I feel sad that Lucy went through such a sad time but God's plan was bigger than a hurricane and He brought her to our family. It amazes me that we have a God who cares about us so much that even the prayer of a little girl is important to him. And He delights in giving us the desires of our heart.

This was the afternoon we brought Lucy home. I love how Katie and Becky are gazing at her with such awe. I know they were thinking - wow, we actually have a dog!

Allison couldn't leave Lucy alone those first few days. Here Lucy is trying to nap in Allison's castle but as soon as Allison spotted Lucy she needed to join her!

A girl and the answer to her prayers then....

And now.....

No more sad days Lucy!