Sunday, June 10

Our Unexpected Weekend

What an unexpected weekend we had. My mom had a heart attack on Thursday morning. Can you believe that? She's 53 years old. She went to the hospital with chest pain but it seemed to take awhile before they actually confirmed that she did in fact have a heart attack. After the docs decided she may have a blockage they sent her to Maine Med to be checked out there. Apparently Maine Med has THE BEST heart facility in New England, anyway, so she was in excellent hands there. They did put in two stents to open up the blocked artery. As test results trickled in it was determined that she did have an attack and some heart damage. Fortunately my mom is in good shape and already watches her diet and she excersises so her recovery will be much easier than someone who has a ton of weight to loose and lots of lifestyle changes to make. She's doing amazingly well and actually went home today, praise God!
I finished the antibiotic for my strep throat on Tuesday morning, YAY! Thursday night I got another sore throat. By Friday night I'd had it and went to the ER for a quick strep test -- it was POSITIVE! So another round of meds! Except this time my meds can't be any form of penicillin. The itchy red rash all over my body seems to indicate that I'm allergic to penicillin! Never had any trouble before! Fun! I will suffer with this obnoxious itchiness until the Amoxicillin is out of my system - great.
So. Now I'm off to unpack and throw in some laundry. I so thankful that our weekend had a happy ending. It's very unsettling to have one of your parents in such a bad way. I didn't like seeing my mom so sick and didn't like seeing my dad upset. I'm glad I was there - there's no where else I'd have rather been. I'm so thankful for the wonderful parents God gave me.
Now a funny Allison story: On Thursday morning Allison and I saw an ambulance. I told her that Memere had to go to the hospital in an ambulance. That facinated her. On Friday evening we were driving to my mother in law's house from Portland. We saw another ambulance and Allison says, "There's the aliens that took Memere." So cute...
Now a funny Mom story: Friday afternoon my mom was moved from the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit to a different room on the cardiac floor outside of the ICU. They wheeled her right out of one room and into the other bed and all, she never got out of the bed. After they got her settled in her new room, mom started squirming around in her bed. "This bed isn't as comfortable as the bed in my other room," she says. Yes, she was serious...