Saturday, December 16

Snooty Snoot Party

WHEW! I'm glad that's over! The party last night was fun, in a sort of, sit with people you don't know and get to know them, kind of way. It was nice to put faces with some of the names Ed talks about, and folks were genuinely friendly. But, the anticipation...you know, "Is what I'm going wear going to be okay?" "Who will we sit with?" "Will the kids be okay with the sitter?" All of that was going through my head. And then when we got there -- Ed insisted he didn't need to wear a coat and tie, I thought different, but what do I know. So we get there and it is instantly obvious that he SHOULD have worn a coat and tie! Ed is noticing coats and ties and I'm noticing long, sparkly dresses!! Mind you, it's 7:15 and the social hour went until 8:00, then sit down for dinner. I knew I had nothing different to wear at home but Ed wanted to go home to get himself properly attired. I just kept telling myself that there were probably plenty of women there in pants. So we got back to the restaurant by 10 til 8, which really was fine since the social hour was really just cocktails and mingling, and it was no great loss to miss most of that! Anyway...there were, in fact, plenty of ladies dressed just like me or even less dressed up than me! I was relieved! Isn't that always the way with women at social events? Some are dressed to the nines and others didn't give their clothes a thought until it was time to get dressed! I like to be right in the middle of that spectrum. Okay, so concern number one, check.
We ended up sitting at a table with Ed's boss and his wife. Nice, nice people. We were also joined by two other couples who seemed nice enough. As it turned out, the other two men were VP's from the company, one a retired Navy admiral of the pacific submarine fleet. I had no idea who they were all evening and was very surprised when they were acknowledged by the party's host. I actually thought there was some sort of mistake! I mean, these two men were joking around and just being GOOFY. I didn't think they were ANYONE'S boss. And it wasn't until we were on our way home that Ed told me they were EVERYONE'S boss at the party. He said he felt very awkward at first because they sat with us, but over the course of the evening he lightened up. I'm not a wife who knows who's who of my husband's work or who he's the boss of and who's his boss. As a matter of fact, on the way to the party I made sure I knew what Ed's title and role are so I could answer intelligently if some other spouse were to ask me. I just don't keep up with all that. And I'm glad I didn't who we were sitting with. It was very easy for me, in my ignorance, to be myself and to be comfortable! As a matter of fact, one of the two boss men found out that Ed and I had our anniversary a few days ago and made sure he passed the word and EMBARRASSED us to death!! I'm sitting there enjoying my cheesecake when the DJ announces our anniversary and wants us out on the dance floor for the first dance of the night! Oh yeah, don't you know I thought I would die. Then I figured, I'm not going to see these folks again for a long time, if ever. Ed, on the other hand has to work with them! So we went out and danced our dance! Next thing I know, champagne is going around on our behalf! I tell you, these folks know how to spend the company's money! Okay, concern number two, check!
Our babysitter did an excellent job and the girls loved her! We'll be calling her again for sure. Concern number three, check!
All in all an enlightening evening. We even got a Christmas ornament from the party. It's a White House 2006 ornament! I love it!! I am glad it's over, and if we go next year, the concerns just won't be there! I'll look forward to that!
P.S. Try the link above. I did it right this time! I'm going to fix the links in my last post so they'll work too!