Monday, September 29

This and That

The end of September already?! The leaves have started changing - actually they are probably approaching peak color at this point. The days are still warmish with temps in the upper 60's. I do love this time of year but it's so brief. It also signifies change. Fall is notorious for all the changes it evokes. Somehow children seem to grow suddenly when school starts and they appear to be a year older regardless of when their birthday is. I don't much like that part of fall. Although with school age children fall also signifies new beginnings. Mostly that's spring's job but when looked at from a school perspective (or I suppose a fiscal year perspective) fall can also offer fresh starts and prospects for bright beginnings. I do like that part. While not my favorite season I try to appreciate what fall has to offer. I'm most definitely a summer girl all the way.

My husband arrived safely home last Thursday much to the delight of his adoring fan club! We are very glad to have him home. Friday night I went to a youth event in Amherst MA with Katie and her friend. It was Friday night and Saturday so Ed went back up on Saturday with them. It was called Acquire the Fire and had dynamite worship music and some speakers. We all enjoyed it. But yesterday (Sunday) was a nice, pretty much lazy day at home after church. I think we all needed a day like that. Today starts the regular routine of work and school.

With Ed gone for 10 days I really struggled with cooking a half way decent meal for my family. Some nights we had leftovers or cereal or waffles or sandwiches. Other nights we ate out. Terrible, I know. But now that Ed is home I must get back into the swing of things. Tonight is steak on the grill with baked potatoes. I feel like having carrots too. That's a good start. I'll figure out what to make the rest of the week tomorrow.

Homeschooling Katie continues to be a learning experience. I think we've decided that we want to mix up the curriculum a bit. Taking her classes on the computer is nice for language arts but for social studies we're switching to a more traditional textbook curriculum. She continues to take math at the middle school and we are waiting to find out about taking science there as well. As a homeschooler Katie is able to take academic classes at the public school and our district has been fairly cooperative in making this happen. But now that I've asked for science as well we are having some scheduling issues. I think they are doing their best but I also think it just isn't a real priority for them. And why would it be. It's a learning experience for us, that's for sure.

I was thinking today about how blessed I am to have some of the same friends I've had since elementary school, junior high, and high school. It's so cool to think about the way things were - the way we were back then - and how we are now. It's neat to be in touch with these friends and know how they are now as moms and wives. To think that we've grown up together. And even though we don't see each other often or even talk on the phone often we are able to pick up where we left off and continue our friendship. What a blessing...

Have you started Christmas shopping yet?...