Monday, September 8

Five Year Old Fashion Troubles

Allison is in a bit of a phase right now. Seems she wants to look "sporty" all the time. This means she wants to wear jeans, and shirts without 'puffy' sleeves. Usually sneakers are fine, although this morning she wanted to wear her flip flops. Her hair has to be down and free flowing - this is all part of the 'sporty' look she wants to have. I've been growing more frustrated by this phase every evening before bed when we pick out the clothes for the next day. This morning I insisted she wear some adorable khaki Capri pants. She made a fuss about them and told me "they get flat when I sit down!" I'm not sure what that means. I assured her she could change when she gets home and she seemed fine with that. Until I dropped her off at school. Originally I was going to walk her just to the lobby and Becky would take her down to her class. We talked about it and she agreed that she was willing to do it that way. However, when we got to school she became a bit clingy and instead of making a big fuss I decided to walk her myself. On the way to her classroom she told me a couple more times how her pants are bad, ugly, and FLAT. When I kissed her goodbye she was holding back tears (which is unusual for Allison, usually she just lets the tears fall) and telling me she wanted to come home with me. Now I feel terrible about insisting she wear those pants. If she feels self conscious - which she most certainly should not - then she'll feel bad. Poor thing. I think this is one of those times when I need to pick my battles - I think. I'm going to go to the mall before school gets out and buy her some more jeans. I so don't like the uncertainty that comes with parenting. The self doubt, the worry, the sinking feeling that I've blown it somehow. And this is all over her outfit! She's FIVE!!! When to pick battles and when to insist on something - that is the question! As I was leaving school I popped into the office and asked the secretary, who knows Allison very well and has lunch/recess duty with the kindergartners, if she'd please tell Allison that she looks 'sporty' today. After chuckling about my five year old's fashion troubles, she assured me she would. Poor Little Miss. What do you suppose she'll be like when she's a teenager?