Friday, January 25

The Weather Outside is Frightful!

It's been SO cold lately. I've found myself wanting to stay hunkered down in the house until the thermometer says at least 40 degrees! When did I become such a baby about cold weather? Maybe it's because we haven't had a break from the frigid temps in quite some time. Oh well, it is January after all.

My brother came to visit yesterday. I'm so glad he came. We had such a nice time with him. He patiently put together puzzles with Allison and played Wii with everyone too. We went on a mini treasure hunt around town. Robby wanted to find a postcard with our town's name on it as well as a key chain with the town name on it. Not easy to do in our obscure neck of the woods. We did it though. That's a thing about obscure little towns - they are immensely proud of their heritage and therefore postcards with historical sites on them are findable. The key chain was a bit trickier, but a trip into the town hall produced a glow in the dark key chain with the town emergency numbers on it. It was so good to see him and spend time catching up. I hope he comes down again soon :)

Katie will be 13 next month. How did that happen?! My little girl is almost as tall as me and wears a bigger shoe than I do. I'm enjoying this age with her. It's been fun to take her and her friends to the mall for manicures and shopping. I get such a chuckle out of how I get left standing outside the fitting room looking like a coat rack, holding purses, clothes and shopping bags. She's a good bargain shopper and understands what TOO EXPENSIVE means!

Shop Talk: I got the final three chapters of my course manual in the mail yesterday. YIKES! I will definitely have my work cut out for me. I will also have at least two more manuscripts ready to submit for publication by the time I'm done. I'm finding that I enjoy writing non-fiction. There is no end to the topics you could write about! My next NF piece is going to be about Ghana. Our family's sponsor child lives in Ghana and I'd like to find out more about it. I'm not sure what angle I'll be taking yet - that's the tricky part - finding an angle that appeals to children and is fun but still informative. It's nothing like writing an essay for Social Studies class, that's for sure. I've also sketched a VERY rough draft for a potential picture book. I'm not sure where that will take me as picture books are EXTREMELY difficult to get published. Many authors choose to self publish their books but that is expensive and getting your book the attention it deserves from the major book markets is tough. I love learning about all this stuff but it is overwhelming.

Happy Weekend!

Ending with Scripture:
Praise the Lord! Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. Psalm 106:1