Friday, September 28

A Sad Tale

I saw the most disturbing sight this morning and of course I have to share it with you! Someone must share in the awfulness of what I saw and lucky for you - it's YOU!
I was driving down the main stretch of road that leads to our street. There were two or three cars in front of me. I saw something up ahead moving in the road and had a quick thought that I hoped it wasn't an animal and assumed it was probably a leaf. I was kind of far back from it at this point. As I got closer I realized that it was in fact an animal - a squirrel to be exact. The poor thing had obviously been hit and he was flopping all around trying for the life of him to get out of the street. He had blood on his chest and his little squirrel mouth was open. He looked like if he could holler that's just what he would've been doing. He'd hop up, then flop down again, his fluffy tail twitch, twitch, twitching. As I got even closer I thought maybe I should TRY to run him over and put him out his awful misery. I slowed down and went straight. Everyone knows if you want to hit a squirrel the last thing you should do is AIM for it, so I didn't aim. Unfortunately I straddled him and he continued to flop. I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed that he only flopped once or twice more and then he was still. The cars in front of me were going slower than usual and I think we were all just feeling SO SAD about what we'd all just seen. Poor, poor squirrel. It's so different to see an animal already dead on the side of the road versus watching one suffer. I'm so sad for the little squirrel and so thankful that Allison didn't see a thing!
Well, have a nice day! :)