Sunday, February 4

A Skating Story

We went ice skating again this weekend. We had a great time! Katie is whizzing around feeling pretty comfortable on her skates. Her quote was, "I'm not into doing tricks. It's all about the SPEED!" Look out! Allison prefers to skate with Ed holding her under her arms. She's not so into trying to do it by herself. And Becky is making steady progress. Funny thing happened while she was skating. A boy from school was there and he is a really good skater. He said hi to Beck a few times and sometimes he'd skate up next to us, just look at her, and then skate away. That, in itself, was funny enough. BUT, Rebecca was very self conscious about her lack of ability and was all embarrassed. To make matters worse, I was taking a break with Allison and Rebecca was a little ways ahead trying to skate on her own. She fell. The boy from school came over and asked if she needed help. She said no and kept trying to get up on her own! He stood there for a few seconds, I think trying to decide whether or not to just help her anyway. She kept trying to get up, but by now she was CRAWLING over to the wall! Her face was all red and she kept looking at me and laughing! He finally gave up and skated away. You see, the thing about Becky is that while she was embarrassed and feeling ridiculous, she totally saw the humor in it! I was close enough to hear all of this and I could've probably gotten over to help her but she was handling it. Didn't we laugh afterwards - actually we laughed while it was all happening too!!
I'm totally into this show on the Discovery channel called Man vs. Wild. If you haven't watched it yet you HAVE to! It's SO cool! I won't even try to describe it to you, I won't do it justice. Check out the link - then WATCH!
LOST is supposed to be on this Wednesday! It's about time! Although, with this lack of good TV I have read some good books! I just finished Freefall by Kristen Heitzman. Excellent. Now I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife. That one comes highly recommended. I'm only about 30 pages in and am not really into it yet. I know it'll grab me here pretty soon!
We finally have snow covering the ground! We got about 4 inches Friday night. It's just so pretty! After ice skating yesterday we got our bundles on and went out to play! Our backyard has a nice slope to it that is great for sledding. The snow wasn't the snowman kind but we still played and had fun and when we were all done we came inside and had, you guessed it, hot chocolate! No snow in the forecast but it's supposed to be bitter cold with even colder wind chills, BRRRRR!