Monday, July 31

Land of the Free...

We just got home from another trip to Maine. Katie was at Camp Good News in Livermore Falls for the week so me, Becky, and Allison stayed to visit family and Ed stayed in MA to work. It was a nice week with good weather and lots of fun activities. I was ready to be home and back into the rountine though, you know how it goes.

Katie found out that she made the fall travel soccer team! YAY! She's on the A team this time which will hopefully provide her with more of a challenge! I'm also glad she'll be seeing her friends at practices before school starts. Hopefully spending time with other girls will lessen the anxiety of starting Middle School!

It's hard not to notice the news lately. All politics aside, I feel like what's happening in Lebannon and Israel is very sad. The Hezbollah strong hold is devasting. I think about the innocent people, going about their everyday lives having to watch the skies for incoming missiles. Mothers worrying over the safety of their tiny children or their grown children who've been called to fight. Homes and businesses have been lost. Men, women, and children have been killed. I don't understand all of the issues involved, I don't need to in order to be sympathetic. I'm sympathetic to all of the people who don't have any say about what's happening and yet are the most afftected. The whole thing makes me really thankful that I was born an American. I think I take that fact for granted most of the time. I don't know fear as I attend church as a Christian, or as I tuck my children in at night, or even as I sit outside on a beautiful summer day. Others, even as I write this are meeting in underground churches, or wondering if the night will bring more violence, or if a new missile will reach their town today. Some people think being an American means that we pay too much in taxes or that the price of gasoline is too high. Some people think it means to have too many illegal aliens taking too many benefits away from US citizens. Still others think being an American is all about taking and never giving back. To me it's simple, being an American means to be FREE. We live in the greatest country on earth - really.