Thursday, May 4

Stuff

Baby feet are the best! Here's Allison's little feet in my big flip flops!
I'm not sure where this post will take us, but I thought I should post something. Last night the girls, (Katie & Becky) went to Pioneer Club at the E-Free church. Becky was apprehensive, but she went. I stayed for the opening part and then I went back early to get them so I could get an idea of what goes on there. I think Becky enjoyed it. Kaitlin, not so much. She is so over being the new person, the one who doesn't know anyone. She's tired of meeting new people and making new friends and I don't blame her. I understand this more than she realizes, having been in her very shoes. There were several girls around her age at the club so I know it'll be fun for her once she settles in, until then...In Maine whenever Katie did something new or different she usually had a friend to try it out with. Here, of course, is different. Although, she has a very nice friend from school who Katie is already wanting to invite to Pioneer Club. We'll see.

Tomorrow is the big Pizza Party! Eleven girls are coming, and we haven't heard from three more, so potentially fourteen. I'm glad we'll have a good turnout. So many of the moms have called to say what a good idea it is and how their girls are looking forward to it. I like talking to the moms and getting to know them a bit. Katie has always had nice friends and I'm sure the girls coming tomorrow will be no different. Soccer has been a big help in meeting the girls' parents. You can tell a lot about parents when they're shouting from the sidelines! Everyone is so encouraging and supportive, it's really nice.

Saturday is the Casting Crowns concert at Six Flags. We can't go and I'm bummed. If ever you have the opportunity to see them, GO! They are a super Contemporary Christian group with a solid message. They aren't geeks or rock star wannabes. They are the genuine article of positive Christianity. Get their CD, you'll love it.

I think I'm going to change our pool order from an 18' to a 20' pool. 20' is probably the biggest we can go. I need to go in the yard and lay out my rocks where the pool will go and see what it'll look like. Any opinions would be appreciated.

75 degrees today and mostly sunny. Same for tomorrow.

Katie has a simple machines fair today at school. All the fifth graders had to make a machine project. They had to present their projects before the other fifth graders and then demonstrate it at this fair. She did a great job. Soccer is going well. They won their game on Sunday, 3-2. They were down 2-0 and came back to win! Very exciting. Katie assisted in the last two goals. She played her position well and was always in the right place at the right time. I'm glad her coach got to see what she can do, being new, she hasn't had as many chances to show her abilities. I'm glad for her. She felt good about the game and her contribution to the team. The girls on the team play well together. They are great at communicating with each other while they're out there. Their coaches are super positive, always ready with a word of encouragement. I actually look forward to the games!

This is Katie's simple machine project. She used pulleys and levers to make a bell ring. Interesting.


Becky loves school. She's doing great and seems very academically motivated. She doesn't seem to have much interest in sports but I'd still like her to try basketball or tennis. I'm meeting with her teachers this afternoon just to touch base with them and hear how they think Beck's doing. I'm looking forward to it. Her class seems so fun. They sing neat little songs about everything which Becky loves. They do cool projects and they are working on a play for the parents in June. She's definitely thriving in this setting, and I'm real happy about that.

Allison. What can I say about "little miss"? She's a joy... most of the time. She makes me laugh. She's silly and goofy. She's also smart, sometimes too smart for her own good. I'm glad I can spend my days with her, even the hard days. Lately, I've really been able to focus on encouraging the positive behavior with her. She totally gets it. They (whoever they are) say that training your children outside of times of conflict is much more productive than in the heat of a tantrum or some other trying moment. It's true. I've known it was true for years. True but hard to remember. I get tired of always thinking of ways or times that I can train my children. Sometimes I just want to veg out while I'm driving instead of "training" my child. Is that so wrong? However, the times that I do focus on teaching lessons outside of conflict I see the greatest results. After three children you'd think I'd grasp the concepts of motherhood a little better. What can I say, I'm a slow learner. I think I know less now about parenting than ever. Maybe if my children were all exactly the same I could make a little headway. Anyway, Allison is doing great. She finally understands interrupting and time out and obeying the rules. She's growing up...

Great day to all!