Friday, April 21

Six Flags New England

We went to Six Flags New England yesterday with Ed's brother, his wife and daughter, and Ed's mom. What a beautiful day, weather wise. It had to be 80 degrees and not a cloud in sight! Perfect. The park was pretty busy with the kids being on school break and the nice weather!
We rented a "flash pass" which allows you to reserve your place in line at several different rides without having to wait in line. The attractions that use Flash Pass have a bar code on a sign for the ride that you scan with the beeper type device. The device beeps when it's time for you to go to the next ride you reserved. You can scan several rides but you can only ride them in the order in which they were scanned. Using Flash Pass eliminates hours of waiting in line, literally! You know how it is, you can stand in line for 2 hours for some of the big deal coasters! Not us! We entered the ride at the Flash Pass entrance and waited less than 5 minutes for our turn to board. It was definately worth the money.
We all had a great time but I felt like Becky and her cousin Makenzie didn't get to do very many "big deal" rides. They are at a hard age where they are getting to be too big for the kiddie rides and yet too small for some of the bigger rides. And then of course there's Allison, who really can't ride anything except the kiddie rides. And Katie...Katie doesn't have patience when it comes to accomodating the younger kids. She wants to ride, ride, ride. I wish I had done a little more planning/investigating before we went, which isn't like me. Usually I'm all over the planning stuff. This morning I went to the 6 Flags website and looked at all the rides they have. There are actually several more rides that Becky and Makenzie could've ridden, Allison too. The park is laid out very well. It seems like there's something in each area of the park for each age group, which means, in theory, I should be able to keep all three of my children happy at all times! There's always a learning curve with these sorts of trips. Next time we'll have a better handle on things, know where to look for the rides Beck can ride, and probably have even more fun! Don't get me wrong, we all had a blast, the day was great!
I rode Superman Ride of Steel which was VERY scary. I rode it last summer when we went but I kept my eyes closed the entire ride! I was determined to look this time. It was just as bad! It's fast, long, and lots of negative G's! Katie loves this ride, so does Ed, and Ed's brother and mom liked it too. I'm totally outnumbered. Let me say in my defense that I enjoy a good coaster as much as the next guy, and I am not afraid of the "big deal" ones, but this one...this one scared me! I'll take a rickety old wooden coaster any day!
Becky's favorite ride was Thunderbolt. It's an old wooden coaster with just the right amount of big hills and thrills! She keeps her arms in the air the whole time! Allison got to do a small roller coaster in the Movie Town section and she LOVED it! She got off grinning from ear to ear saying, "I screamed, I screamed!" Very cute.
All in all a great day. We can't wait to go back, next time more prepared! The great thing about living close to the park is having folks come down to go with us!