Wednesday, June 17

Through The Eyes of Others

I love to hear about my children from other people. It's wonderful to see my child through other people's eyes. What is it about them that others find cute or interesting or funny? How do they relate to the world when I'm not with them? What do others see when they watch my girls? It (usually) does a mother's heart good to hear other people answer these questions. One thing that never really crossed my mind was about how my husband looks through other people's eyes. I only ever thought about him in terms of how I see him. But, the other morning Ed took Allison out for breakfast before school and our school librarian saw them. When I spoke to her yesterday she couldn't wait to tell me all about their meeting. She said things like, "I got to meet Dad, what a nice man." or "Allison was so cute sitting there with her little feet dangling from the chair talking up a storm to her dad. He was so sweet as he listened so attentively to her." She said she heard their conversation about getting to school. Ed had planned to take her to school after breakfast but Allison really wanted to ride the bus with her friends. The librarian said she couldn't believe how sweet Ed was about accommodating this request. She kept gushing like that and clearly was quite taken with the whole scene between my daughter and her daddy. I take him for granted. He is truly the best dad ever and stops time and space to be there for his girls. This breakfast scene was one of many just like it, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to have seen it through some else's eyes.