Thursday, December 6

The Joys of Home Ownership!

So. It's three weeks before Christmas. Of course an appliance would break! Fortunately it's just the microwave. Still, an unwanted expense! Our side by side refrigerator has been freezing things in the fridge side ever since we moved in. Nothing worse than going to get a glass of milk only to find it ROCK SOLID! Sometimes it's fine - most of the time it's not. So - another appliance on the brink of complete malfunction. I don't like the fridge. It's ugly, small, and doesn't work right. I like the microwave, at least I used to. It works just fine other than the fact that it is incapable of heating anything up. Minor glitch. So, guess what Ed and I are getting each other for Christmas!? A new space saver, over the stove, microwave oven!!! Woo Hoo! And possibly a new fridge! Woo Hoo Hoo!! The big question is, do we get stainless steel (which we both really want) or just go with the white so that they'll match the dishwasher and stove. We could sell the stove and dishwasher later and replace them but it could be awhile. Ahhh, the big decisions that plague me!

We are also trying to decide on a new vehicle. Our lease is almost due and we need to pick something out to replace it. We're leaning towards a Honda Pilot. It has 8 passenger seating which most SUV's don't offer. I LOVE my Honda Odyssey but we're trying to get something that will pull Ed's boat. More big decisions! So, when is the best time to find a deal on new cars? Some say the end of the year, some say the dead of winter. Hmmm...

About a week ago Ed was walking into the kitchen when he felt a drop of water land on him. He looked up to find the ceiling DRIPPING! Not good. Katie was upstairs in the shower. Apparently she didn't put the liner in the tub so water was pouring onto the floor and seeping through to the ceiling downstairs. Great. So, after mopping things up and making a gaping hole in the ceiling, things dried up. Ed has patched the mess and it is looking okay. Now he'll need to paint it. I'm telling you, the joys of home ownership!

On a lighter note, I'm going in to read a story to Becky's class tomorrow. I'm SO excited! I've decided to read Jan Brett's Twas the Night Before Christmas! You may remember how thrilled I was last year to find this book. The illustrations are GORGEOUS! The class is learning all about Massachusetts so I thought this one would fit nicely since the illustrations are based on scenes in nearby Stockbridge and Jan Brett has spent lots of time in this area. If I have time I'm also planning to read Emily by Michael Bedard with illustrations by Barbara Cooney. I LOVE Barbara Cooney's illustrations. She's also the author of fabulous books like Miss Rumphius and Eleanor. Anyway, Emily is about Emily Dickinson who just happens to be from Amherst, MA. I can't wait.

18 shopping days until Christmas!! YIKES!