Monday, April 3

Letterboxing




My first blog entry, how exciting! I thought I'd start with our first letterboxing experience. Yesterday's weather was perfect for being outside; 60 degrees, full sun, light breeze. We decided to try letterboxing. A friend in Maine had told me about it and I had done a little of my own research. If you'd like a better explanation than I can give, go to www.letterboxing.org There you will find all you need to know about letterboxing as well as locations in your area to go letterboxing.

I had printed out a set of clues to a letterbox on a section of the Appalachain Trail. We had no trouble finding the box and the girls had a great time! Here's Becky and Katie with the box. Allison thought it was so neat to walk in the woods and get a stamp in her book! We are hooked! The girls wanted to find more boxes but I only had the clues for that one with us. We did continue on up the trail for about 1 1/2 miles, it was so beautiful. There were two hawks flying right over head, so close. It was neat to think of all the people that have hiked The Trail right where we were hiking. We can't wait to explore more of the beautiful trails around us. Letterboxing is a great way to become familiar with your community and enjoy great, quality time with your family. I'm looking forward to going out again!